Wendover - Transition
In order to successfully transition children from primary school to secondary school, they will spend the first 2 years of their time at Wendover in the transition model. Students in year 7 and 8 have their own building, Manor View, where they will have a class base. They will have a form tutor who will also teach them for maths, English, PSHE and food lessons, which is currently 14/24 lessons a week. The other lessons such as science, PE and construction will be taught by specialist teachers in the other areas of the school. Year 7 students also have their own playground for the first year.
Most of our transition teachers have been primary trained and/or had experience of working with primary age children.
When students are in Year 6, the transition lead for Wendover will arrange a series of events and visits to support children with the move. These might include:
- Home visit to meet parents/carers and give the chance to talk about their child, their needs and what we can do make the transition successful
- School visit to speak with the staff working with your child and learn more about what strategies work for them
- Transition days in July where students visit for some days to meet their new teacher and class and to become familiar with the school
- Transition BBQ, a social event to make new friends and allow parents the opportunity to meet school staff
- Chiltern Way staff attend the child’s annual review where possible